As I read this statement in an old book called Art and the Creative Teacher last week it got me thinking (again) about the value of my favourite hobby.
Scrapbooking may be considered by many as self indulgent. Some might even say we who make them are on the ultimate ego trip. But, if the intent is to communicate our experience of life to another, then it is no more self indulgent than writing a letter to a loved one or painting a masterpiece.
Even more so, scrapping opens up possibilities to develop or embrace our creative side. Here are a few things that can happen as we make more and more albums:
- Increased photographic skills
- Increased storytelling skills
- Increased layout design skills
- Increased sense of connection with future generations.
Isn't that a great list of by-products for simply doing something we enjoy! Scrapping is a process of communication design at the most personal level, which makes it a passionately purposeful and creative exercise.
Here is a peek at one of the pages in my grandmother's college album (c 1920s). I just love the spontaneity of her pages. Of course, in her day scrapbooks were really just a visual diary made for personal enjoyment to hold keepsakes. Unlike today, she did not intend them to become family treasures - and was surprised when they did!

Scrapbooks have the wonderful flexibility to be what YOU want them to be. There are no rules so they can be simple like this one or they can encompass greater investment of time and creative energy -- it is always up to you and what you want to record in them of your experiences.
It is often said that a scrapbook is a work of the heart, but I believe they can also be works of art -- if you wish to go a bit deeper and truly open up so that your pages reveal your uniqueness. As Samuel Coleridge so aptly said, "What comes from the heart goes to the heart."
I like the definition of creativity as something original with value. Each life is unique and valuable. Not everyone composes music, paints or writes novels, but everyone can share their experiences with others in their albums. Then they are, by the definition above, standing in the arena of artists.
An interesting read Lori - I like that definition of creativity too. I try to be myself on my pages - sometimes it works sometimes not. I don't like following formats and plans, I would much rather try it my way. At the same time, I do need to learn from other people, so it is always an interesting experience. You are so fortunate to have those old scrapbooks - they are treasures indeed.
ReplyDeleteI am about to share your words with a friend who is a fellow scrapper from Western Australia who is holidaying at my house.
Looking forward to more entries on your blog and another Webinar or 2.
Thanks for your comments Barbara. It is always nice to get feedback. Working without a template or plan allows for a fresh start with each layout and for the photos to dictate where they 'want' to sit. It is always more satisfying and truly creative to come up with your own layouts. Keep it up! :)
ReplyDelete